Wednesday, April 27, 2011

"vintage" blue dress (and a little white hat)


Since I bought this fabric from a friend I'm not sure if it actually is vintage, but I thought a classic, simple style would suit it. I made up the pattern, and sadly you can tell. The sleeves are a little shorter than I wanted, and a little too tight. I initially thought I would topstitch the pleating, but couldn't make up my mind in the end! I also need to tack down the lining on the yoke. I am terrible about finishing off projects nicely because I get impatient to finish it. The pictures don't show that the back was too wide and doesn't hang nicely -- but fortunately on a little girl it doesn't matter too much!

I had trouble keeping her far enough away from me, so I didn't get many full length pictures...

I can't remember what pattern I started with for the cloche, but I ended up pulling it out and starting over about a dozen times. I am still not happy with the brim, and when I get a chance I want to redo that as well.



(Note to self... photographing white on a sunny day is a bad idea.)

4 comments:

  1. Adorable! Both, the girl and the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute! I love the fabric. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When will you post again? How about showing us all your family photos and the cute girly outfits you sewed? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Maria and Sachiko!

    And I'm working on it, right now, Hayley! Sick kids have been taking all my time...

    ReplyDelete